Saturday, October 18, 2008

I need your 2 cents.


I want to ask anyone who is voting this year to vote YES on Amendment 51. Basically, this amendment will raise the Colorado sales tax to 3.1%, which comes out to 2 cents on a $10 purchase. The tax will only be applied to taxable items…so not gas, food, household electricity and heat or prescriptions. Did I lose you at tax increase? I know that is the last thing that anyone wants...BUT this tax increase will raise over $100 million annually and will be used to help children and adults with mental disabilities. Amendment 51 provides new funding for much-needed services that people with developmental disabilities and their families need now and in the future, such as constant supervision, help with daily tasks, a place to live, job training or nursing services.
I don’t want anyone to think that I am trying to tell you how to vote, or offend or anything like that, I just want to get word out about this…
I have a brother and a sister with mental disabilities so this issue is very important to me. Please vote YES on Amendment 51.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Have you read the fine print? It is kind of confusing, but it seems that if a "fiscal emergency" is declared all the other funding goes away and only this tax money will remain. I hate they way this stuff is worded. Its lame. There should be a clarity in amendments amendment!

Laura wants to type. aB H A