Sunday, August 30, 2009

First Week

The first week of class is over! It was a great week. It has been good to be back and to be in school again. Over the summer I tried to figure out my living situation for this year. It was a mess. First, about a month before school started I got an email from the apartment life office at CSU saying that due to the number of people who have applied for apartments and the small number of vacate notices they have received they may or may not have an apartment for me. Great, a month before school starts and I am homeless. Ashley knew a couple of girls who were going to be living in a condo and needed a roommate. I thought I would do that but it didn’t work out because it was a little too expensive and my family wasn’t too excited about the idea either. Then I tried the dorms again, and I thought that I had a place there (I found out later that I actually didn’t even have an active application with the dorms). After a while of not hearing anything from either the apartment life office or the residence halls, Ashley told me that there was still room in the Tolkien house where she was going to live. I gave them a call and got a room there. It was the best choice! Tolkien is about half of the price of the dorms and I also get to live with Ashley. :)

It’s really nice to have a good roommate. It’s been nice to not have to deal with your roommate coming in at 3 a.m. plastered and waking you up. It’s also been nice to not have to deal with your roommate’s boyfriend sleeping over every night. I’m so glad I decided to live here and I get to live with my best friend.

Classes have been great, too. I am taking 14 credits and have four classes this semester. Spanish, American Lit, British Lit, and Public Speaking. Since I haven’t taken Spanish in two years, I was a little worried that I would be too far behind. I think I will be ok though, it seems to be coming back to me little by little. It also doesn’t hurt that my Spanish teacher rocks! She is really funny, laid back and great at teaching. I’m really excited about my two literature classes. I love the reading! :) I have the same professor for Brit Lit that I had last semester for Poetry. I’m pretty happy about that because I really liked her and the way she taught. The only thing I am dreading about this semester is Public Speaking. I feel kind of sick just thinking about it. I don’t do well with public speaking. I have my first speech on Friday. Wish me luck!